Regional Landcare Coordinator
The focus of The Murray Regional Landcare Facilitator Project is to engage Landcare and Producer Groups, support new groups and build capacity within existing groups that support sustainable farming and better environmental outcomes. There is a wonderful team of active volunteer and paid Landcare champions who all work together to promote and improve connectivity between people, farming and nature.
Paula Sheehan is the Regional Landcare Coordinator, and works from the Holbrook Landcare Network Office. Paula meets with Landcare, Producers, Industry and Community Groups to assist and engage them in running projects that deliver research and information on sustainable agriculture and improve environmental outcomes. Paula also meets with Community Leaders, bringing like-minded people together to facilitate organisation and action.
As Regional Landcare Coordinator, Paula’s priorities include:
- Ongoing support of Landcare and producer groups, existing activities, projects and responsive organisations
- Delivering training and development opportunities for volunteers and support employees
- Workplace Health and Safety Legislation to be reviewed and implemented in all organisations
- Ensuring that informal and formal discussion groups that are forming to fill service gaps, but do not have external support, are aware of the project and given support as required
- Linking in with existing discussion groups, eg DPI and private consultants, as opportunities to develop further projects and activities and perhaps more formal groups; offer support if required
- Developing links and being active in facilitating coordination of events and activities for different agencies
- Focusing on sourcing funding for groups to develop self-sufficiency, build on Murray Local Land Services investment and reduce dependency on single funding sources
- After appropriate needs assessment, conducting activities in areas not supported by groups to start a process of landowner engagement and interest
- Engaging steering committees to more actively work with groups at, and in between meetings, in terms of opportunities, events, ideas, and speakers
- Providing RLC updates in media and social media
Murray Landcare Collective
Murray Landcare is a collective of community based, not for profit Landcare, Agriculture, Producer and Environmental Groups in the Murray Region of NSW. It has a focus on learning together through collective interaction and using our entrepreneurial skills to improve our resource base to deliver better natural resource management, sustainable agriculture and rural community development.
Learn more about Murray Landcare Collective.