2023 Fischer Community Leadership Program: Corowa and Jindera
The Fisher Community Leadership Program is an initiative that aims to enable and empower leadership within the community from the grassroots up. The focus of the program is to develop leadership skills and create a group of community leaders that are equipped to take action and make a difference.
The program is aptly named in honor of Tim Fischer, former Australian politician and diplomat who served as leader of the National Party from 1990 to 1999 and who called Lockhart home. The program is now in its second year, following the successful pilot program delivered in Henty and Holbrook in 2022.
In 2023, one program will run in Jindera, and the other in Corowa. Seven sessions are scheduled from 6pm-9pm on a Monday evening, with a combined full day workshop on Friday 23 June in Howlong (refer to Proposed Schedule at end of document). Participants will receive leadership training from facilitators and guest speakers, delivering an experiential program that focuses upon building and strengthening core leadership skills. A key component of the program will involve project management, with participants undertaking the scoping and planning of small community-led projects.
Key focus areas of the program will include:
- Understanding yourself as a leader
- Group dynamics and effective teams
- Working with all levels of government
- Working with volunteers
- Understanding community, inclusion and effective community engagement
- Useful social media for community groups
- Governance/Committee essentials
- Project Management
- Developing successful grant applications
- Other topics of interest
- Open to all ages, from 18+
- Current and emerging community leaders
- Interest in creating change at a community level
- Do not need to have existing involvement with a community organisation
- Demonstrated connection to the LGA of delivery location (either live, work or belong to community organisations in the Council)
- Ability to attend at least 80% of the program and the compulsory full day workshop on Friday 23 June in Howlong
Participant Contribution: $80 (flexible payment arrangements available – please enquire with Program Coordinator)